No big surprises. We had the pretenders fall off the map and the strong have survived. There is no need for the weak in lax and I don’t appreciate frauds.
We now drop into Championship SZN and I am fired up. Now is the time to get hot and huuuge implications for Memorial Day Weekend. Without further adieu, the most recent top 5.
1. Syracuse: The boys from the North got game. With huge wins over Notre Dame and North Carolina, the Orange have proved themselves. With several games going into OT and even more games with 1-point wins. Now, I’m writing this a little early, so that we can collectively drool over the rematch of NC v. Cuse. I’m calling that Cuse loses in the ACC, but it will help them in the Championship Tournament.
2. Denver: Bill Tierney’s teams are normally very defensively sound. However, April hasn’t been their month. You can’t be letting St. John’s drop over ten points on you. Oh yea, and Ohio State spanked them and put them in timeout. They had four games where they dropped the ball. A little concerning and makes me think they won’t make it to New England for Mem Day. Maybe the number 2 ranking is a little high for the defending champs.
3. Duke: Quality team that had a quality schedule. They got a tough draw playing ND in the ACC tourney while they are looking for a bounce back. However, I think the Blue Devils will pull it off. Duke has been putting up a respectable amount of points but more importantly they have kept really good teams to under 10. Defense wins championships.
4. Ohio State: It’s good to be a Buckeye. The boys from Ohio destroyed Denver and Michigan, and snuck in a nice little OT win vs Maryland. The Big 10 Tournament is being held at their home stadium and I strongly believe they have this in the bag. BUT, I think it goes to their heads and they choke later.
5. Maryland: Struggle bus lately. The Terps slugged it out with Rutgers playing in 3 overtimes, then the very next game lose to Ohio State. Not a good feeling especially since they have Johns Hopkins before the Big 10 in Ohio. The Terrapins need to do some soul searching if they are gonna get a playoff berth.
Games to Watch: Every. Single. Championship. Game. Honestly, it’s possible – just get your phone, laptop and TV streaming and… boom, bang, done.
Teams To Watch: Rutgers, Le Moyne College (women’s College D-2 lax), Sky Blue (unrelated, but Women’s pro soccer team), Army and Loyola. Most have some great potential to screw up some more classic teams’ championship runs.
Dangle, Snipe, Celly,